Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dear Rosemary

Dearest GrandMa,

It wounds me deep to I know I am jolting this down for you, yet you will read it not. It saddens me deep. Oh, damn, I loved you, do love you, and always will love you. Therefore, I choose not to mourn your death, but celebrate it. Sad how fast we alter the reference of a human from the present tense, to the past tense. My heart is in tears. As your name depicts, a true rose you were. Filled and sweetened with a natural scent of beauty, freshness, charisma and love, yet again, what we saw as thorns, the tough love you showed us, all in the name of discipline.


I recall the numerous times you would have us kneel before you, so that you would pray for us, and bless us, every time we visited. Being the first grandchild, I always had the first honors, and oh yes, I was so proud. We would always make a mockery of you when you were not around, with each of us striving hard to imitate you best. It always brought us joy. I know I never told you so, but you inspired me to dance. We never asked for permission, for you were a staunch christian, but would sneak out and dance lingala all afternoon in family joints-that's where the juice we brought you each Sunday came from. We were victors, just like you taught us to be. Aha, I remember that day I almost sent your heart into a frenzy. (Sadly, it is still what killed you.) We had traveled from Mombasa, being a primary student then, and the person meant to pick us up at the bus station did not show up. I was left with Lu and Bush, and they were tearing up because they thought we were lost. Ha, I pulled off a 'cry me a river' to an old taxi driver, and with Ksh. 200, managed to get a cab to your place. Your reception was so warm, it gave us an amnesia with regard to the days events. My oh my, the churches you took us to though, he he..they were too dramatic for us. I choose to keep that secret between you, your lovely grandchildren and I.

There is so much to be said, but I shall tell the Lord Almighty about it. At 67, well, you have seen a lot of sunrise and sunsets, but the saddest thing is, you did not get the chance to meet your grand daughter-in-law. Daang!! Would have loved to see you grill her, to ensure your 'baby boy' is in safe hands. Anhu, I promise to tell her about you. Don't you dare worry at all. I know you are Heaven bound, thus save me some space there. Do share some positive news about me to the Most High, by the way, and see you when the time is right. Your smile is contagious, and I know He has a soft spot for you, so tell Him to forgive me for you know..he he.. Therefore, do not shy from dancing with the angels, and do keep your hawk eyes on us, for I will be looking up to you for wisdom and guidance.

Yours in tears
RIP Grandma
Love you always
First Grandchild!!

4 comments:

  1. Bro may our grandma rest in peace.let us celebrate a life well lived

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah man...May her blessed soul Rest in Eternal peace

    ReplyDelete
  3. i know its late, but find comfort in knowing that she is watching over you. RIP Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Lauryn..I chose to celebrate a life well lived. She is an icon to me!!

    ReplyDelete