Monday, May 28, 2012

Peter Kibe teaches......

Kibe: Maboyz, nani anapenda kunyeshewa aki lala? (Boys, who likes to be rained on when they are sleeping?)
Kwetu Boys: Hakuna (None of us)
Kibe: Si, mukienda base, mtanyeshewa mkilala? (When you go to the streets, won't you be rained on when you are sleeping?)
Kwetu Boys: Ndio (Yes, we will)
Kibe: Hapa mukilala, mnayeshewa? (Here in the rehabilitation center, are you rained on when you are sleeping?)
Kwetu Boys: Hapana (No, we are not)
Kibe: Kwa hivyo, sitaki kusikia story ati msee amehepa (Therefore, let me not find out that one of you has gone back to the streets. Okay!!)


These words oozed out of young Peter Kibe on the 24th of May 2012, having spared time from his busy attachment schedule, to cheer-up and challenge the boys at Kwetu Home Peace Rehabilitation Centre. I admired every bit of his counsel, and spoke to myself, admitting that there is nothing more for me to add, because you had said it all. *can't believe I am referring to you in past tense*


I must admit, it has been a long time since I shed tears, and the news of your demise totally opened up the tap in my eyes, and as the tears raced down my cheeks, with every eye shutter  commanding a larger flow of eye-liquid ,  I collapsed to my knees. I found myself not questioning God's will but simply giving Him thanks. Thank him for gracing us, COP and Kwetu, with you in our lives. I believe, that no one dies 'too soon' in this lifetime, but only upon the will of the Almighty, and when I look back into your life, you served well my brother. I salute you.


I recall the day we were sent as representatives of Strathmore University, to the Sankara Hotel, and sat among the crème de la crème of society. They wholly admitted, for such a small bodied man, you embodied a very huge voice and oozed off plenty of confidence. We did well, I believe, and I recall you dishing out your personal-cards with much gusto, affirming to them you are an asset they should all be willing to invest in. Our hour to depart came, and they insisted we should not leave without having a small bite. Aiye, we ended up eating breakfast and lunch combined, with you telling me, that no one knows us, thus we should not waste the grand chance. Mtu nguyaz, tuliswallow vi-ajab. You taught me not to worry much about what people think, for as long as I undermine them not.


First time you vied for a seat in the Student Council, and many times we shared counsel. I told you where your flaws lay as far as public speaking was concerned, how best to improve them, and you took each word to heart, not troubled by the defeat, but assuring me that you will be better next year. Oh, yes you did. And you served well when you won the next election contest. You taught me that learning never stops and never to give up.


Come the epic tales of ladies, and we shared them a lot also. I recall asking you a thousand times, how you manage to attract and get the cute and beautiful ones your size, and you humbly laughed it off. It was and still is a mystery to me. They shall miss you without doubt. You taught me that no lady is impossible to sweeten


Yet peace partially engulfs my heart, because I know I told you so when you did good, and when you could do better. I wish I told you more. Thus us we embark on our life-journeys, knowing that the sight of your smile is with us no more, I would like to share with the world, more lessons you taught:

  1. It is never too early to start giving, thus in our own small ways, we can be a difference
  2. A past defeat should not define our tomorrow, cause tomorrow brings with it hope, that we can do better, and defeat offers lessons, that we need improve
  3. We can make time, and that 24 hours is more that enough for us to be impact-full in society
  4. No one is unworthy of our time, and that we should learn to give, and give to learn
  5. That we should learn to say thank you more, and appreciate people when we still have them
  6. That yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, and that is why it is called the present
Your Message: I am certain, that you want us to celebrate your life, rather than mourn you. To fill the void you left better, than you lived it. That we counsel the Kwetu Boys more often, than we already do. To make more hearts smile, than we always have. To bond more as a family, than we ever have. We shall try. 

As I sign off bro, for the three years I knew you, I hope and pray that you are in God's embrace, and He is saying to you "Welcome home my child, you represented me well, during your visit on earth." You have challenged us to be a better people, and with each sunrise and sunset, we shall work towards being our best. Thank you.

Rest in Eternal Peace
Peter Kibe


14 comments:

  1. This is sooo fresh in my mind like we were at kwetu jana.kibe you lived ua life as aleader n energetid neve troubled bout anything.i got thet from u.mayGod rest ua soil in peace eternally.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enogh has been said, God's will has taken place and we accept his wishes...May his (Peter Kibe) soul RIP...

    A life well lived lets not mourn but celebrate a life well lived.

    God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We celebrate a life lived well by you Peter Kibe

    ReplyDelete
  4. The more I read about him, the more I wish it was a creative piece of writing, but no you cannot get creative with someone's demise. He will rest, he has rested, in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We shall miss you Kibe. You have taught me a lot and you were my mentor. I will always remember you. SALUTE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Babu, words well put. We should celebrate his life. there's a thought that says "When you were born you were crying and all the people around you smiling. Therefore, live your life in such a way that when you die you will be smiling and the people around you crying." You were a joy to our lives and a blessing to all those who you crossed paths with. You were a leader, a friend, a brother, a mentor and more so someone with a big kind heart that blessed many. We will miss him. Mattthew 5:4 Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted. May God grant his family and friends the strength to get through this difficult time.
    A.N.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I admire the life that you lived Kibe,touching the lives of those that you came across,may God rest your soul in eternal peace.even if you are gone your legacy still remains.

    ReplyDelete
  8. tho only two semesters old, am glad I got a chance to exchange a few words of wisdom with him, which I greatly learned from.RIP Kibe,in our hearts u'll always be treasured with no measure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don’t know how to heal your pain as for the family of Peter Kibe, but wish we could.
    Please know you are in our prayers and we wish you well.

    Till we meet again.....R.I.P.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful and has captured what Kibe truly was...
    Thank you God for giving a chance to get to know him, and to share the great and sad moments.
    Kibe shall indeed be missed. Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rest in eternal Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry for your loss dear. May he Rest in Peace. X.

    ReplyDelete