Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Yokozuna K.O


No Mercy!!
I was meant to post this yesterday, but I had other commitments to address. As I looked forward to a great week, calamity seems to have embraced the month of September by the neck. The past week, was filled with sheer gloom and guttering life-snatching events. Death and murky stories, engulfed our media houses whole, stifling them off any good news that may have taken up center stage. The Sinai tragedy, illicit-brew encounters, road carnage, police shootings etc. My oh my, the horror. Kenya marked 2 days of mourning, in honor of the lost lives, and I top that, with a prayer to the Heavens, their souls are resting in eternal peace. Sadly, the tales continue: 13 people died in a road accident yesterday, and as of this morning, a man has reportedly killed the wife in a family feud. #GodblessourNation


Queer: As I was buzzing around this weekend, catching up with footy and friends, we recalled the Yokozuna saga and start to bust out laughing. Kindly do not get me wrong here, I do mourn the death of those slayed by the illicit brews, yet again, seriously, YOKOZUNA!! The name of that brew, must be alarming by itself.  As far as my memory goes, in the supreme days of wrestling, Yokozuna was one mean-ass, who had his ass all over the other wrestlers faces: and had no remorse for it. I recall his killer move-putting an opponent on the corner ropes, as he planned on running from the alter-corner, straight into the unlucky chap. The impact would exhaust all the air, life and strength from the opponent, making him fall down, face-up. And there, was his best moment. He would go up the corner ropes, bounce a couple of times and ******** (lacked a sound-effect to describe it) and he would rub it on, until the opponent tapped out. It was not a pleasing sight, and he would always make my mum rant and rave about how it made no sense to her, why we, my father included, would cheer and go hysterical over old men dressed in underwear. (as she liked to put it, highlighting her disgust).


Worrying: Back to Kenya, and News-headlines are hijacked by piratical-news of young men being held ransom by illicit brews. Deaths and blindness courting every sip they take of the so much, "I am hustling" drink. I think, 'hustle' has been the most misused word to-date. From what I have gathered and researched as per the word, I think 90% of the people who use it, hardly know what hustling is all about, and have fallen victim to verbal-peer-pressure. Aha, back to the illicit drinks, well, being a teetotaler myself (I am naturally high and the doctors have confirmed it), I wonder what actually draws these young men to the brew. I believe, majority can spend at least Ksh.20 on a cup, and at the same time, seek to borrow money to buy food, which would be purchased by the misused cash.On that note, I have always wondered why it is easier, for a friend to buy someone alcohol to wipe out misery, than actually loan the friend some money, to help sort out more important issues. Personally, I would feel insulted, whether done out of good gesture or not, if a friend, instead of seeking to address my problems, upon his willingness, chooses to buy me a drink to wipe it down. As far as I know, he would not be worth being called a friend, and I would be better off alone. 


MUST: I believe, we need to be personally responsible, in order to sustain lives in our beloved nation. That we should stand up and draw caution, when a driver is being reckless, radio stations, to highlight on the importance of personal responsibility with regards to alcohol consumption, that sex should be a topic freely discussed in families, highlighting the fact that it is not a vice, but the circumstance surrounding the act, define its morality or not. The more we ignore reality, and batter words of matters that are beyond our control, the more lives we shall loose, and mourning shall become a norm. For example: complaining about time, yet 24hours is all we will ever get.


Hope: The beauty of Kenya as a Nation, is our malleability. Our love for self, is our weakness, yet our greatest strength. I believe, learning from KenyansforKenya; with constant and consistent sharing of real-information, would aid our ailing nation. AIDS provides a great learning curve, with people being more receptive to victims, and shunning stigmatization. People are scared of the truth, and thank God it hurts-it is high time people shun cocoons, stop hiding in the 'We are aping the Western world excuse' and stick to the gun, and call it as it is. Should we not address these issues-the plight and sight of women crying over 'dead' men who are alive in the villages, shall wipe our schools clean of children to attend the classes. As we ponder on what to do: let us not forget, LIFE HAS NO REHEARSALS!! lest we stop....we shall be hammered with YOKOZUNA K.Os

No comments:

Post a Comment