Thursday, September 29, 2011

Logical Nonsense-Kenyanized!!



Yep. That headline makes no sense to me either; basically highlighting the entire logic behind this piece. Have you ever questioned why somethings are being done the way they are? The question why, apparently, is the hardest question one can ever ask? Hmm, ponder about it for a minute or so?


It is true, isn't it? Now, marry the question to some of the norms in our society, and you will see that a lot people are in need of some rude awakening. Tag along.......
1. Visitor's utensils
I know this happens in many homes in Kenya. I am really astounded, (my mom being a major victim) when parents order that some utensils should not be used by family members, as they are reserved for occasions or visitors. Majority go unused, and gather dust, as the family is forced to limit usage of what is available. This is one of the few things, unknowingly passed through generations. For example, I ask: why can't one choose to train a child, how to value and be careful with a glass, instead of limiting the child's scope of responsibility, by forcing the child to use plastic. This offers a simple avenue to teach a child responsibility, make the family feel special enough by using the utensils, and fact remains, the guest shall never know whether the glasses were reserved for him/her. 
2. Sunday-best outfit
Okay, take a look at your wardrobe, and tell me you don't own an outfit that you have not worn more than 5 times. If you do, well, you are nuts. What is the essence of purchasing an expensive outfit, one that you look jaw-dropping in, and limit people having the chance to see you in it, to specific occassions. Most of the time, you end up outgrowing the outfit, and end up hardly wearing it. If you have an amazing outfit, wear it whenever your mood tells you to. Each day is special, make it count. Don't await somebody else's occasion to look great. Makes no sense for you to buy a suit, only to be buried in it. In fact, upon one's death, one should be buried with his favorite outfit: a pair of jeans, and favorite team jersey, as for ladies, whatever made you look amazing-don't you think? Unless its an outfit meant to spice bedroom affairs, dress in all you can, when you can!! Look sharp, and await no reason to do so!!
3. Wedding gift-utensils overdose
I am yet to walk down the aisle, and when that day shall come to pass, I hope it shall a healthy package of bliss. Anhu, I wonder why people always insist on purchasing utensils as wedding gifts-as if its an obligation. We all know that definitely, the newly weds shall be doing some cooking, but yikes, if you seek not to buy a worthy gift, get the couple a gift voucher and let them do the shopping, or just don't buy. Let us come clean, I am certain, on your D-day you would be dreading to have an overdose of utensils for gifts. Therefore, act it!!
4. Can't sleep without eating ugali

I recall my dad attesting to this, claiming he cannot sleep well without a heavy meal, thus always informed my mum, to prepare ugali, whenever she had made pilau, rice or spaghetti for supper. I tried seeking the logic behind this, knowing that supper is meant to be the lightest meal, as recommended by doctors and health nutrition, and found none. Being a bachelor, I have had french-fries for supper, on days I could fry-eggs not; if I am the only one whose fallen victim to laziness related to cooking, then I am in my own world. Anhu, why, would one, all of sudden, lack the capacity to stomach a light meal for a night, and force the lady to bear the burden of cooking more. Should the MRS find it appropriate,  then let her will be done. Personally though, I find this attribute, passed on through generations, as a load of sheer crap!!

Let it be known, that I hold no war against utensils. I own some. It is saddening that we choose to underrate ourselves, and deny us many blissful moments, all in the name of doing things because they are a norm. I know that there are many more things we are accustomed to, but we are not sheep, aren't we!!! Stand out, and treat each day with the special attention it deserves. Oh, and as for my Mrs. to be, I make this contract with you-I shall eat what is availed without grumbling, because I know the value of having a meal to soothe the stomach!!


No comments:

Post a Comment